Updated on 7/18/18. View the high-res image. This is a conveniently clickable group of things I mention and display in Creative Planned Color Pooling classes. I teach the next one on July 28, 2018 in Portland OR. (An earlier version of this class was called “Crochet Stitch Games” and included game-like serendipity techniques; between then and now, planned pooling has become a popular technique!). — Vashti Braha
Thinking of signing up for this class? I wrote Color Pooling Developments with you in mind.
Crochet Patterns & Crochet Alongs
- Jempool pattern. It’s the blue scarf on the left in the above photo.
- Crochet Along: The Jempool CAL (a source of some great info!)
- See all of Vashti’s color pooling projects and swatches at this self-updating Ravelry link (log in to Ravelry first to see all of them).
- Crochet to the Color Playbook pattern set. (This is a freeform “stitch pooling” way to modify accidental pooling, rather than doing planned pooling.)
Recommended Issues of Vashti’s Crochet Inspirations Newsletter
- Issue #77 Find the Color Code of Short Striping Yarns
- Issue #78 Möbius Mind-bending Experiences
- Issue #30 Yarns of Different Stripes (gradient, tonal, and long-striping yarns)
- Interested in planned pooling with crochet thread? See this handy chart I created in full resolution of some variegated Lizbeth crochet thread color sequences.
My Color Pooling Blog Posts
- Rosebud Argyle Color Pooling Stitch (row by row instructions). Newest 2018 post.
- Color Pooling Developments Spring 2018.
- Color Pooling Crochet Stitch Games-Class/Planned vs. Accidental Spring 2016.
- Hand Dyed Yarn Three Ways
- Today’s Sarasota Yarn Shop Class
- Knit and Crochet Books: Stitch Games Class (See the 6 starred ones out of a list of 17.)
- Crochet Class Yarn Sponsor: Lorna’s Laces!
- Crochet Class Pattern Galleries (Featured example is from the Stitch Games class handout.)
- Day 1 of 50: Crochet Conference Prep (all about yarn sponsorship for the Stitch Games class.)
- Crochet Along Shaping Thoughts–Jempool CAL
- The Original 2016 Crochet Stitch Games: Class Resources page (see image).
Photo Albums & Inspiration Boards
- Online photo album for this class 2016 to the present (Flickr).
- Color & Stitch Games inspiration board (Pinterest).
- Self-Shading, Long-Striping Yarns inspiration board (Pinterest).
- It’s the Yarn inspiration board (Pinterest).
- Color FX with Crochet Stitches inspiration board (Pinterest).
- Wearable Simple Shapes to Crochet inspiration board (Pinterest).
- Color Blocks of Simple Textures inspiration board (Pinterest).
- Vashti’s Crochet Classes inspiration board (Pinterest).
Recommended Color Pooling Sites
- PlannedPooling.com where you can plot the color sequences of your yarn and see how it pools based on your plan.
- Pooled Knits Ravelry group.
- This group is how I first found member sanne7788 who does the most inspiring pooled Tunisian crochet I’ve seen so far! (Scroll down to see them all.)
- Planned Pooling With Crochet Facebook group for crocheting argyles, founded by Summer Cromartie. Especially see Brenda-Leigh Bennett’s 10/21/16 resource page there!
- Deborah Bagley wrote a meaty multi-part series on several kinds of planned pooling. Start with the introductory roundup of it: Hook and Learn: A Feast for Your Color Pooling Eyes.
- Laura Bryant: Ikat knitting effects with her ikat-style hand dyed Prism yarns, featured in Vogue Knitting. I took Laura’s pooling class at my local yarn shop and here’s my ikat attempt with slip stitch crochet.
- If I had to pick only ONE book to read about planned pooling, it would be her 2013 Artful Color, Mindful Knits: The Definitive Guide to Working with Hand-dyed Yarn.
- Marly Bird: Fantastic YouTube videos and blog posts for crochet planned pooling that argyles.
- Glamour4You, Sewrella, Rockin’Lola (her granny stitch argyle guest post), Naztazia: Bloggers with popular tutorials for crocheting pooled argyles. Also see Kathy Lashley‘s post, a rare one on the “lightning bolt” effect when pooling in the round, and Kinga Erdem who explains her bold zigzag argyle using just half double crochets [UK: htr].
- Karla Stuebing: 2013 article, “Art and Science of Planned Pooling.” It’s about knitting but very inspiring for crochet.
- Wannietta Prescod: this blog post links to her earliest inspiration and to her influential Sweetspot 2009 article for Knitty.
- Planned pooling crochet patterns, a self-updating link: Ravelry doesn’t seem to have a category for this technique yet, so I used the keyword “pooling”. Of 23 search results it looks like 20 are true planned pooling. Of these, 17 are argyles, and most appear to be seed stitch (as of 4/16/18).
- Planned pooling knitting patterns, a self-updating link: as with the crochet search link above, I used a keyword search. Of the 91 results (as of 4/16/18), about 80 are true planned pooling designs.
Any Books on Planned Pooling with Crochet?
- Found one! Yarn Pooling Made Easy by Marly Bird. Published by Leisure Arts, 2017.