View the full size hi-res image.
Star Stitch Foundation
It’s the perfect way to start a Starwirbel! We’re going to use it in the upcoming Starwirbel Way class this July. (CGOA Chain Link conference this July in Portland, Oregon).
For this unusual stitch, two foundation chains must be created as you complete each star. In the text instructions below, a [bracketed number] refers to a numbered photo step above.
First foundation star stitch (fstar):
Chain 3 loosely.
- [image #1] Pull up a loop in each of the second and third chains; you have 3 loops on your hook.
- [image 2] Chain 1 (counts as first foundation chain of first star),
-  Yarn over and pull up a loop in the two outermost strands of the chain just made,
-  Chain 1 (counts as second foundation chain of first star),
-  Pinch it while you yarn over and pull through all 5 loops on your hook so that the last loop doesn’t tighten,
-  Chain 1 (eye of this first fstar).
Tips: Pinching also helps you recognize which loops are the new foundation chain loops. Pull up loops loosely enough that a second crochet hook could fit in them.
Add more foundation star stitches:
*Pull up a loop in each of these places:
-  The Eye,
-  Side of star,
-  Two loops of second foundation chain of star;
-  Chain 1 (counts as first foundation chain of next star),
-  Yarn over and pull up loop in chain just made,
-  Chain 1 (counts as second foundation chain of next star) and pinch it,
-  Yarn over and pull through all 6 loops on hook,
-  Chain 1 for eye.
Repeat from * for each new fstar.
2 thoughts on “Foundation Star Stitches Step by Step”
This took me quite a few tries to get! The most difficult part for me to understand was what to do at Step 3. A video would have been really helpful
OK, good to know, thank you! When I get a video made I’ll add a link here.