View the full size hi-res image.
Star Stitch Foundation
For this unusual stitch, two foundation chains must be created as you complete each star. In the text instructions below, a [bracketed number] refers to a numbered photo step above.
First foundation star stitch (fstar):
Chain 3 loosely.
- [image #1] Pull up a loop in each of the second and third chains; you have 3 loops on your hook.
- [image 2] Chain 1 (counts as first foundation chain of first star),
-  Yarn over and pull up a loop in the two outermost strands of the chain just made,
-  Chain 1 (counts as second foundation chain of first star),
-  Pinch it while you yarn over and pull through all 5 loops on your hook so that the last loop doesn’t tighten,
-  Chain 1 (eye of this first fstar).
Tips: Pinching also helps you recognize which loops are the new foundation chain loops. Pull up loops loosely enough that a second crochet hook could fit in them.
Add more foundation star stitches:
-  The Eye,
-  Side of star,
-  Two loops of second foundation chain of star;
-  Chain 1 (counts as first foundation chain of next star),
-  Yarn over and pull up loop in chain just made,
-  Chain 1 (counts as second foundation chain of next star) and pinch it,
-  Yarn over and pull through all 6 loops on hook,
-  Chain 1 for eye.
Repeat from * for each new fstar.