This award-winning wrap is warm enough to be used during the warmer months, and lacy enough for the rest of the year. It’s an easy-intermediate level Tunisian crochet pattern requiring approximately 700 yards of laceweight kid mohair yarn and a large Tunisian crochet hook.
Weightless is one large easy rectangle, so there is no increasing or decreasing. You begin at one short front edge, so you won’t need a long Tunisian crochet hook. A 9-inch (23cm) long hook is all I needed to hold all loops on the hook. The pattern is written for the crocheter who knows how to do the basic Tunisian stitches and is ready to learn new ones.
I developed this lacy combination of stitches myself, which I call “Tunisian Wicker Stitch,” and have not found it used anywhere else. It uses Tunisian stitches that are familiar to those who have already ventured beyond the Tunisian Simple Stitch, such as the yarn-over, slip stitch, and twisted stitches, and puts them together in a new way.
Pattern is rated Easy Intermediate because the crochet hook is unusually large for the fine yarn used, and some crocheters may be unfamiliar with this combination. You should be familiar with the Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss), which is a beginner stitch.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to do less common twisted, slip, and eyelet Tunisian stitches
- The power of simple blocking to transform a lacy design
- How to “crochet with air”—that’s how it might feel to use a very big crochet hook with a fine, weightless yarn!
- The special merits of fine mohair yarn for crochet accessories.
Measured flat after blocking: 19.5 x 70 inches/50 x 178 cm.
- Yarn used: S.R. Kertzer’s Ovation (75% Kid Mohair, 25% Silk, 233yds/212m per .88oz/25g ball), color #2140 White: 3 balls.
- Yarn substitution advice: A light weight, gossamer-like mohair-blend yarn listing a size F/5/3.75mm crochet hook or needle on the label should look lovely. This yarn weight is called “#3 Light” or “DK/Light Worsted Weight”. To be safe, have 700 yards of it (you may need only 600yds).
- 9-inch (23cm) Tunisian crochet hook size M/13/9mm or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Regular crochet hook: size J/10/6mm