One skein of soft yarn results in a sophisticated crochet cowl for women, and two skeins makes a man-sized chain mail scarf. The chic stitch pattern combines common crochet stitches in an unusual way.
Choose from 3 scarf types in the pattern; customizing tips are also included. Use a yarn with a metallic sheen, color, and weighty drape to heighten the distinctive herringbone-like chain mail effect. It results in an impressive gift for both men and women.
Intermediate because some stitches of this aran-type pattern are crocheted in the row below.
International English equivalents to American measurements, yarn weights, and stitch terms are provided in brackets.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- A beautiful and less-common stitch pattern in the Aran crochet tradition
- How to work into one or more rows below the previous row of stitches
- A handy 1- or 2-skein way to make gift-quality neck warmers
Customizing information is included in pattern.
Women’s Pinned Cowl, shown in darker yarn: Circumference is 26 in/66 cm, height is 8 in/20 cm.
Men’s Long Scarf: 52 in/132 cm long and 8 in/20 cm wide. For a wider or narrower scarf, you can add or subtract any number of rows you choose, however this will change the amount of yarn required.
Snug “NeckGaiter” (lighter yarn): Circumference is 21 in/53 cm, height is 5.5 in/14 cm. It’s best if this close-fitting version is left unseamed and closed with one or more buttons unless you use an elastic yarn that would allow a seamed tube to be stretched over the head.
Buttoned Neckwarmer (short unseamed scarf, a.k.a. “scarflet,” worn crossed in front by both men and women; women often wear them closed with a pin or button): 26 in/66 cm long and 6 in/15 cm wide.
- Crochet Hook: Size US H-8/5mm or size required for gauge.
- Yarns Used, Dark Green: The Alpaca Yarn Company Astral (50% Tencel, 30% Alpaca, 20% Merino Wool; 3.5 oz/100 g, 197 yd/180 m), color #8477 Chamaeleon; 1 skein. Light Green: Naturallycaron.com’s Country (75% Microdenier Acrylic, 25% Merino Wool; 185 yd/170 m per 3 oz/85 g), color #0004 Green Sheen; 1 skein.
Yarn Amounts: For Women’s Pinned Cowl, Buttoned Neckwarmer, or Snug “NeckGaiter,” 197 yd/180 m. For Men’s Long Scarf, double that amount: 394 yd/360 m.
- Optional: One or more medium or large buttons, and matching sewing needle and thread for attaching buttons.
- Optional: Stitch markers for Rows 3 & 5.