Alzannah is a quick to crochet vest that converts easily to a ruana-type wrap. The pattern includes choices for customizing both length and width, crocheting larger sizes, and converting vest into a ruana or wrap. It’s a pleasure to try it on as you go because it’s constructed from the center out to each sleeve opening.
Use as few as two skeins of an expensive beaded silk yarn for a dressy crochet bolero (see red version pictured). The longer off-white version shown uses four skeins of a more casual bamboo yarn. With this great “stash buster” you can keep crocheting one side of it until you’ve used up half of your yarn. It’s your choice to add more yarn to make sleeves longer and the vest wider, or simply stop when you run out of yarn.
In elegant red silk the bolero-like vest looks like it’s made of hearts and would be lovely worn to a candlelit dinner with one’s valentine.
Easy Intermediate due to extra-tall stitches and as-you-go assembly. There is no shaping. International English equivalents to American measurements, yarn weights, and stitch terms are provided in brackets. A stitch diagram is provided for the set-up rows.
After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- A simple way to create a vest-like layer of lace
- A versatile way to show off two skeins of luxury yarn
- Choices you have when customizing this simple wearable shape
Cropped bolero length, shown in red silk: 12.5″ long X 23″ wide measured flat; when worn, 12″ long and 24″ wide (30.5 cm X 61 cm), due to the weight of beads.
Convertible Vest-to-Ruana Wrap length, shown in off-white bamboo: 21″ long X 23″ wide (53.5 cm X 58.5 cm): skims the upper hip on an average Size Small or Size Medium person.
- Crochet Hooks: Size US G/7/4.5mm and US H/8/5mm or sizes required for gauge
- Stitch markers (2)
- Yarn: #3 Light Weight (DK, light worsted weight) yarn or one that states a gauge of approx. 12-17 stitches over 4″/10 cm with a 4.5 mm hook. Amount used for cropped red version: 240 yds/220 m of Tilli Tomas Beaded Plié (100% silk; 120 yd/110 m per 1.75 oz/50 g), color American Beauty; 2 full skeins. Amount used for longer off-white version: 416 yds/380 m of Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo (80% bamboo, 20% wool; 104 yd/95 m per 1.75 oz/50 g), color 132; 4 full skeins.
- Substituting yarns: It’s easy to substitute yarns for this design, especially if the yarn is mostly made of silk or a plant fiber like cotton, linen, bamboo. Try to avoid a yarn with mainly wool or acrylic content.