Note: The old URL for this design was www.shop.designingvashti.com/djc-snow-day-mobius-crochet-cowl-4-dn12811r.htm. The permanent URL for it is now https://www.designingvashti.com/product/djc-snow-day-mobius-crochet-cowl/.
Necessity is the mother of….a cowl design! I created this mobius on a Friday evening knowing I’d need something that I could wear while shoveling snow on Saturday. It wasn’t perfect, but it gave me enough dense coverage even in a lace stitch to provide welcome protection. My cowl stayed snugly twisted around my head and neck for the entire shoveling ordeal until I removed it.
Here, then, is the Snow Day Cowl, the prototype (unplanned) sample shown exactly as I sped through the crocheting of it that night, and a second (planned) sample in a solid color light worsted gauge with more generous proportions.
Included in This Pattern
This crochet pattern is a mini-booklet that includes:
- tips for crocheting an all-in-one mobius scarf-cowl-hoodie-wrap in multiple gauges
- a stitch diagram
- special help section
The lace stitch pattern is easy to remember and not difficult to crochet, but turning the foundation into a continuous mobius round can be tricky. Just because it is lace, this pattern is rated Intermediate.
42” long by 12” wide as crocheted, pulled out to 44” long by 11” wide after wearing. See the Own It! Section in the pattern for making the proportions you prefer.
Original sample, 12 sts (FDC or dc) = 4”, three pattern repeats (4 Vs or 4 shells) = 4”, four rows in stitch pattern = 2 1/2” as crocheted
- Yarn: Original sample as shown: Plymouth Kudo; 55% cotton, 40% rayon, 5% silk; 3.5 oz (100 g)/198 yd (183 m); 2 hanks in #42 (approximately 4.75 oz, or 275 yd full/heavy worsted weight used). See the pattern’s Own It! Section for information about alternate samples plus tips on yarn and weight substitution.
- Crochet Hook: US Size I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker (split ring marker or safety pin or scrap of yarn)
- Yarn needle for weaving ends
- Ruler or tape measure