This beginner’s Tunisian crochet pattern works up quickly and results in a sumptuous gift for a man or woman. It’s a simple stitch, and comes out looking spectacular in this yarn and gauge, effortlessly. Pattern is written without any abbreviations for beginning pattern readers.
One day my husband accompanied me to a new yarn shop. When he touched the Peruvian luxury yarn I was considering, he said with awe, “You’re buying this, right?” Nothing showcases the incredible luster and hand of this yarn like good ol’ Tunisian Simple Stitch. It has a woven look in a big husky gauge that looks great on a man.
It only took me two hours to crochet it. I love when that happens. I’m not sure if any of my photos do it full justice.
Beginner. After using this pattern you will know (if you didn’t already):
- How to read a simple Tunisian crochet pattern
- How to create a simple reinforced foundation row that looks masculine and prevents a curled edge.
- How simple blocking turns even a beginner project into a polished, expensive-looking gift.
- The difference a single-ply yarn can make.
6” wide X 47” long. (before blocking it was 5.75” X 45”; this is a general guideline because every yarn behaves differently). Length, which is easy to customize, is provided as a helpful guideline.
- Crochet hook: Size L/11/8mm Tunisian crochet hook. I was able to use a regular 6-inch (15.5cm) crochet hook as a Tunisian hook that had no thumb rest, which would have distorted the gauge of the Tunisian stitches.
- Yarn used: Mirasol Sulka (60% Merino Wool, 20% Alpaca, 20% Silk, 55 yds/50m per 1.75oz/50g skein): 3 full skeins. Color #203 Wine was used for this project.
Craft Store Yarn Substitutions: Look for yarns in the “#5 Bulky” category that suggest a size J/10/6mm or K/11/6.5mm crochet hook. A single-ply yarn will have a similar look (see photo of swatches), such as:
- Lion Brand’s Alpine Wool (100% Wool, 93yd/85m per 3oz/85g skein), 3 skeins;
- Bernat’s Roving (80% Acrylic, 20% Wool, 120yds/109m per 3.5oz/100g ball), 1.5 skeins.
There are no reviews yet.